Friday, September 14, 2007

Online Classes For Writers

Today's post is the result of receiving the same request from two places: Both Anti-Wife, one of our regular readers, and another writer on one of the writers' loops I frequent asked me to talk about where I took the online classes I've mentioned before.

In 2005, I took a class almost every month and, in 2006, I took a class at least every other month. I'm sorry to admit that I haven't taken a class this year. It's just been too busy.

Here are a list of my favorite sites for online classes:

1) Kiss of Death: this is the RWA online chapter for mysteries. You can find it here. The website's special effects are annoying, but they offer two classes every month: Murder One on the technical aspects of murder and mayhem (see schedule here) and Killer Instincts on writing craft topics (see schedule here). You do not have to be a RWA member to take a class although KOD members get a discount.

2) Lowcountry RWA: this is the South Carolina RWA chapter. They often have classes that I find interesting. Their class schedule is here. Again, you don't need to be a member of RWA to take the class, and the subjects apply to all writers, not just romance writers.

3) WriterU: The Writers' University has great classes. I especially have enjoyed the classes taught by Mary Buckham. You can find WriterU here.

4) Outreach International Romance Writers: Another online chapter of RWA. You can see the schedule for the rest of the year here. By the way, I'll be teaching a class there this December on developing a business plan.

Online classes are a great way to keep focussed on your writing or to re-energize yourself when you're in a slump. I also enjoy hearing other writers share their tricks of the trade.

Hope you'll find these links helpful.

2 comments:

The Anti-Wife said...

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it and will look into the classes.

Maya Reynolds said...

AW: You're very welcome. Hope they prove interesting.